Water is categorized into distilled and purified water. The names are given based on the different processes the water goes through.
Before finding out the differences between Distilled vs. Purified Water, let’s understand what they are.
What is distilled water?
To get this type of water, a distillation method is used. In this method, the water containing contaminants is boiled higher than its boiling point, and the purified water is collected in the form of steam. This steam later cools down and forms distilled water. The impurities are left behind in the vessel in which the water has been boiled. This is the process of obtaining Distilled Water.
What is purified water?
Purified water is obtained by passing water through filters that obliterate the impurities or minimize them to the lowest possible level. Almost all the chemicals, pollutants, and bacteria are removed through this process, and hence the water obtained is termed Purified Water.
Is distilled water the same as purified water?
Let’s have a look at the differences between distilled and purified water:
- The significant difference is that distilled water does not have essential minerals, whereas purified water has vital minerals. Only the water forms steam during distillation, leaving all the valuable minerals, impurities, and bacteria. On the other hand, the filtration process does not remove the essential minerals from the water, and only bacteria and viruses are released.
- The bacteria and chemicals that have lower boiling points evaporate first in case of distillation. Sometimes, distilled water needs to undergo further purification methods to get rid of the leftover bacteria. Whereas, in the case of purified water, the impurities are either removed entirely or are reduced.
- During the process of distillation, water is boiled more than its boiling point to form steam. This process consumes a lot of energy. On the other hand, the filtration systems used to get purified water require very little energy.
Which is best for drinking?
This is a common question asked. Both types of waters are safe for drinking. The health benefits of both of them are listed below:
Health benefits of drinking purified water:
- Purified water is free from harmful bacteria and viruses. Thus, it can be used for drinking without the fear of getting any health-related issues.
- Purified water is also free from toxic metals like lead and copper, which are harmful to human health.
- The removal of the metallic substance enhances the taste of purified water.
- Purified water is also free of chlorine. The presence of chlorine can increase the risk of cancers. Purified water is completely safe to drink as the filtration process it goes through removes chlorine from it making it safe for drinking.
Health benefits of drinking distilled water:
- Distilled water is free of contaminants and bacteria thus, recommended to people who have weak immunity. The water is easy to digest and great for drinking.
- People suffering from serious illnesses are advised to switch to distilled water. As this water is free of contaminants and bacteria, it is the best option for cancer and other diseases.
- The absence of chlorine in distilled water also makes it suitable and safe for drinking.
Issues related to purified water:
Although purified water is suitable for drinking, still some issues have rose which you would like to know:
- The filtrations systems require proper maintenance to function efficiently. The filters stop all the contaminants, and hence, they need to be changed regularly.
- Although the purification systems are good enough to remove all impurities from the water, some pesticides and contaminants are not filtered.
- The purification systems eliminate fluoride from the water. Fluoride is an essential substance that is good for dental health. Fluoride also helps prevent tooth decay. Hence, water should contain a small amount of fluoride for good dental health, which purified water does not have.
- Purified water can either be obtained by installing a water purification system or purchasing purified water bottles in your house. Both the options are not budget-friendly. Hence, drinking distilled water is quite expensive. Also, if you use purified water bottles, plastic bottles destroy the environment.
Issues related to distilled water:
Some issues related to distilled water are as follows:
- The distilled water is free from chemicals and bacteria. The sad part is, it is also free of essential chemicals that are good for human beings.
- Calcium and magnesium are also eliminated during the distillation process. Hence, the percentage of daily calcium and magnesium intake fulfilled by water is not possible. Thus, one has to look for other ways to maintain daily mineral intake.
- Like purified water, distilled water is also free of fluoride. Thus, this chemical is neither obtained from purified water nor distilled water.
Distilled water and purified water are both used for drinking. However, whether you choose distilled water or filtered water depends on your requirement, budget, and health.
Distilled water is the cleanest water but is also free of essential elements. You can go for distilled water if you take a well-balanced diet and fulfill your daily nutrient intake by other means.
If you cannot fulfill your daily nutrient intake and can afford a good water purification system, purified water should be your choice.
Both types of waters have their pros and cons, and hence, you can choose any of them. Neither of them has any side effects on human health. Therefore, we can say that distilled water and purified water both can be used for drinking.